If you have started your first WordPress blog and wanted to know what essential plugins need to be installed, then this article is especially for you. We will try to put these plugins under different categories like security, communication, optimization, etc.
Plugins are the backbone of any WordPress site and provide your site with different capabilities which are required for the smooth running of your blog.
So without wasting further time, let see what are the must-have plugins for your WordPress website/blog. Please note that we will only put general information about the plugins. If you need in-depth detail about anyone, please let us know and we would make a new article for it.
11 Essential Plugins for a WordPress Blog
Security & SPAM Protection
Securing your website from unwanted attack should be your number one priority and for that, from the start of your blog, you should install the plugins which can give protection from spam comments, unauthorized login attempts, malware, code injection, etc.
Below are 3 plugins which we recommend for this.
1. Akismet Anti-Spam: Protect from unwanted spam comments from bothering you.
2. Wordfence Security – Firewall & Malware Scan: It’s a WordPress security plugin which will provide Firewall, malware scan, blocking, live traffic, login security & more.
3. Limit Login Attempts: After few try to login, it will block the IP for a set amount of time. Good if someone is trying to guess your blog password.
You can easily limit the number of retry attempts when logging in (per each IP).
Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
SEO is vital and should be done with great care. On-Page & Off-Page SEO are two part of it.
There are a plethora of WordPress plugins available for SEO, but the two recommended ones are Rank Math SEO & Yoast SEO.
4. Rank Math SEO: Rank Math SEO is a great alternative to Yoast SEO and provides premium features for FREE. It has everything you will need to make your website visible in the eyes of search engines. It also has XML Sitemaps feature, so not including any extra plugin for that.
5. Yoast SEO: Yoast SEO is currently ruling and is installed on 5 million WordPress blogs. Most of its basic features are FREE, but for its premium features, you will have to pay the money.
Keeping your images, scripts, code and WordPress database optimized is also imperative. Images can be both optimized through a plugin and through a website. I would recommend using websites like https://compressor.io and https://tinypng.com/ to compress your images.
Above is also true for your website coding, script & database. So now let’s check some of the plugins which can help you to achieve your website optimization.
7. EWWW Image Optimizer: This plugin keeps your tension away when you speak of image optimization and reduce the size of the images uploaded on your WordPress site and thus increases page speed.
8. W3 Total Cache: It is one of the favourite plugin when it comes to Caching due to number of options it has to offer. While this plugin is activated you will notice considerable amount of change in your site speed. Do try it out.
If you have a good communication system in your blog, you can easily reach out to your visitors and they can contact you too. So, for that, you need a good plugin and working email address. Below are the 2 of them which we like.
9. Contact Form 7 : Very easy to use and felixble contact form. Loved by millions of webmasters around the world.
10. Contact Form by WPForms: Drag & Drop online form builder that helps you create beautiful contact forms.
Backup & Restore
Taking a backup of your website/blog is vital and for that, you need a reliable backup plugin which can do the job for you.
You can also take backup of your WordPress website manually your hosting level by using cron jobs. Most of the web hosting provider will charge you for automatic backups.
There are a number of backup plugins which you can find in WordPress repository. Some allow you to store your backup in web hosting and some on the cloud platforms like AWS, Google Drive, etc.
As per current scenario, you need a plugin which can take incremental backups and save the data to cloud. This would not only have a performance impact but also your backup would be fast and will require less space.
11. WP Time Capsule: It is a very intuitive backup plugin which uses the cloud apps native file versioning system to detect changes and backs up just the changed files and db entries to your account.
These were some of the essential plugins which are required to run your WordPress website. This list is not extensive and we may update it from time to time.
Also, plugins requirement depends upon the type of website you are going to create. Like affiliate website will have different plugin requirement from an eCommerce website.
Hope you would have liked this article and if you do, please share it on your social media and also if we have missed any basic WordPress plugin, please do let us know through your comments.